National Buffalo Museum
Museum Store Manager & Buyer
The primary goal of the National Buffalo Museum Store is to generate profitable revenues while extending the visitor experience through access to products and materials that celebrate our mission of advocating for the restoration of the North American bison through education and outreach. The Museum Store Manager & Buyer (MSMB) reports to the Executive Director (ED) and is responsible for over $150,000 in annual revenue brought in through merchandise sales. The Museum Store has 650 sq. ft. of retail space featuring books, clothing, jewelry, educational materials, and other items related to the Museum’s mission and its permanent and traveling exhibits. This position may hire, train, and supervise part-time staff. This is a full-time, salaried/exempt position. Regular schedule will include at least one weekend day.
- Develop and manage a strategy for long-term retail growth that aligns with the museum’s mission and strategic plan
- Assist in the development of the store’s annual budget, develop an Open to Buy plan by department based on budget projections, and adhere to both
- Develop weekly, monthly, and annual sales goals, and develop store purchasing and pricing strategy (that includes a regular review of sales reports, analysis of sales trends, and adjustments to inventory and purchasing) to achieve set goals
- Report sales and inventory analysis to the Executive Director at least monthly, including targets and actuals for metrics such as Sales, Cost of Goods, Gross Margin, and Net Profit
Procurement & Inventory Management
- Collaborate with Executive Director and Museum Curator to select products that align with the Museum’s mission, programs, and events.
- Source, purchase, manage, and monitor physical store inventory (including researching trends and attending merchandise trade shows).
- Establish retail pricing to achieve maximum earnings potential.
- Develop and implement markdown and shrinkage control policies.
- Maintain the Point-of-Sale (POS) system for the Store. Become proficient in the understanding and use of the POS including generating purchase orders, database maintenance, report generation, and inventory valuation. Analyze data to manage various metrics.
- Process all cost and quantity adjustments.
- Maintain effective relationships with vendors including meeting with sales reps and negotiating purchasing incentives such as delayed billing and additional discounts.
- Plan, schedule, staff, and conduct annual physical inventory, and reconcile annual physical inventory count with POS system.
Receiving, Pricing & Stocking
- Supervise all merchandise receipt and processing, including tagging, stocking, and display. Ensure proper handling including unpacking and checking against purchase orders and packing lists.
- Follow-up on all damages and incorrect shipments. Return or apply for credit as indicated.
- Correctly update and maintain merchandise inventory records in POS using receiving and return vouchers.
- Review and process all receiving paperwork and approve and submit invoices for payment in timely fashion.
- Develop effective merchandising strategies that includes the design and implementation of a series of changing creative displays (including seasonal themes) that showcase merchandise.
- Oversee all store displays, merchandising, and restocking, collaborating with the Visitor Services & Membership Coordinator to ensure that proper merchandising and restocking procedures are in place and being followed.
Digital Presence & E-commerce
- Participate in weekly social media staff meetings and create promotional content for museum store.
- Establish an active Museum Store and web presence.
- Prepare and ship e-commerce orders.
- Maintain the museum store’s Shopify site and third-party integration software.
Store Operations & Staff Relations
- Foster a collaborative, team-oriented environment.
- Order and maintain inventory for all office and store support materials including packaging, pricing labels, ticketing, etc.
- Maintain store’s physical condition and appearance.
- Keep stock room organized and tidy.
- Collaborate with the Visitor Services & Membership Coordinator to train Visitor Services Representatives on product knowledge, loss prevention, stocking procedures, and other relevant inventory support functions.
- Model and reinforce positive customer service behavior.
- When serving as the active manager on duty, diplomatically manage any customer needs and complaints in a timely and professional manner.
- Answer visitor questions and other store inquiries relating to merchandise.
- Collaborate with the Visitor Services & Membership Coordinator to oversee the Visitor Services Operations in his/her absence.
- Collaborate with the Gaming Manager to conduct gaming charitable gaming operations in his/her absence.
The Successful Candidate Will
- Possess exceptional analytical, organizational and spatial thinking, and time management skills.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills necessary for working with multiple constituents including museum staff, vendors, volunteers, and visitors.
- Demonstrate strong judgment and problem-solving skills.
- Able to multi-task, maintain composure during stressful situations, and manage competing priorities with a high degree of self-initiative and independence.
- Ability to maintain a strict level of discretion, judgment, tact, and diplomacy in all matters.
- Creative and innovative mindset and proven ability to think out of the box.
- Thrive in a team-oriented environment.
- Possess considerable attention to detail and a high level of quality control
- Experience in merchandise and management of all aspects of a financially successful retail operation.
- Experience managing inventory on a point-of-sale system and conducting physical inventories.
- Experience preparing and adhering to annual budgets, sales forecasts, and financial analysis of sales performance.
- Experience with online retail operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Museum Studies, Business, or a related field.
- Retail experience in a museum or non-profit setting.
- Good PC skills with Windows-based programs, particularly Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with relevant software programs including Intuit POS and Shopify.
- The successful candidate must be willing to travel, both regionally and nationally.
- Must be willing to work evenings and/or weekends as needed and cover part-time employee shifts unexpectedly.
- Ability to move up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to sit at computer, walk and or stand, bend and or stoop for extended periods of time.
This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, but a general description of the job. Nothing contained herein restricts the National Buffalo Museum’s rights to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Salary up to $35,000, commensurate with experience, education, and qualifications.
Desired Start Date: Upon completion of a successful search.
Please email resumes and cover letter to: email@example.com